Wednesday, August 09, 2006

More stories from land of Malay warriors

I waited patiently for my folks to come back from work. I think I behaved quite ok but mom wasn't too happy still cos I bit the pirated DVD discs from Malaysia. Anyway, they told me they went to Putrajaya -- the government nerve centre -- for some passport matters for my grandfather.

The place is coming up nicely with more buildings, nice lakes and awesome bridges.









They told me it was the idea of former Malaysian prime minister Dr Mahathir Mohamad, who gave up power willingly in 2003 but it's probably one of his biggest mistakes. More on this another time. Ok?

I like this shot of the man-made lake near the PM's Office. Notice the grand bridge?










Another nice project is the 88-storey Petronas Twin Towers in the capital.

They will always remain the tallest pair of buildings in the world, although Taiwan's Taipei 101 has since overtaken the height of the Malaysian buildings. Please see this good piece for the comparison of the heights of major skyscrapers in the world.

Under Dr M for 22 years, Dad said Malaysia has definitely changed into a major industrialised nation from an agricultural-based economy.

No comments: